Sunday, June 16, 2013

In 1968 the transoceanic solitary sailor Bernard Moitessier participated in the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race, which would reward the first sailor as well as the fastest sailor to circumnavigate the Earth solo and non-stop.

Moitessier was spotted passing the Falkland Islands, heading northbound, and fast. Fast enough, in fact, for it to be assumed that he would win. But then suddenly, and for no apparent reason connected with the race, he decided he would not continue north at all, but would turn due east, and head into the Indian Ocean.

In due course he explained himself, in a letter squeezed into a can that he fired from a slingshot toward a passing merchantman:

"My intention is to continue the voyage, still nonstop, toward the Pacific Islands, where there is plenty of sun and more peace than in Europe. Please do not think I am trying to break a record. 'Record' is a very stupid word at sea. I am continuing nonstop because I am happy at sea, and perhaps because I want to save my soul."

You don't have to be an experienced sailor to save your own soul. Simply book yourself into VILLA MAMANA on tropical Telekivava'u.

No comments:

Post a Comment